Today I want to introduce children a famous artist, Jackson Pollock.
Below picture is one of Jackson Pollock's famous paintings - Enchanted Forest (1947)
Discuss with the children about the artwork:
- What kind of materials and skills could've used?
- What colors do you see? Do you think the artist mixed the colors first and then painted it or used different colors at the same time? (or any other new idea?)
- Does it look like "enchanted forest"?
- If yes, which part reminds you of enchanted forest?
Now, enjoy this video clip about Jackson Pollock and his action paintings.
Let's do our own action painting now! Anything that allows children to express their artistic desire by action will work. My suggestion is marble painting.
- Cardboard box (if you don't have a box, deep baking tray could work, too.)
- Marbles (or golf balls work, too!)
- Masking tape to secure the paper
- Fun music!
**Please do this whole process with the children.
**Play some fun music to invite children to dance and enjoy the activity time!
- Secure a piece of paper inside the box with masking tape.
- Squirt different colors of paint.
- Drop marbles or any small balls for rolling.
- Shake the box!
We are the teachers of Little Atelier. We love to share our fun days, meaningful plays, and memories with you!